Presentation & News
Your Project Manager
Education & Training
Works & Publications
Works & Publications
The list having grown much longer since 2009, my research works are now classified as follows:
To get more details about each work or publication, click on the button on the right of the presentation. The icon border indicates the language (or languages) of the publication.
Another button will send you back to the contents of this page at the end of each section.
- 02/2015: article "De l'autotraduction à la traduction de soi : éléments de réflexion bretonne" in the online review Glottopol, number 25 of which is dedicated to auto-translation.
The article offers a general view of auto-translation between Breton and French and relates the phenomenon with the sociolinguistic history of the country.
- 08/2014: article "The Creativity of the Catalan Language Analyzed through the Blending Process" in the Catalan Review, translated from Catalan into English.
In this article, newly-coined Catalan blended words are analysed as a vitality indicator of this language.
- 12/2013: book review of La traducción entre lenguas en contacto: catalán y español by Cristina García de Toro, in the Traduire magazine, No. 229.
- 07/2013: article "Role and Value of Professional Translation in the EU: A Few Leads on Different Scales" in the collective book Translation and the Accommodation of Diversity: Indian and non-Indian Perspectives, edited by Jean Peeters and Jandhyala Prabhakara Rao.
The article explores a few leads about the role and value of translation, based especially on a comparison between the practices observed in the European institutions and in Brittany.
- 05/2013: article "De la valeur de la traduction comme stratégie (glotto)politique", published in No. 10 of the Bulletin du CRATIL.
Some elements are suggested here to explain the contribution of translation services to (glotto)politics, from a comparison of the European Union institutions, the Spanish state, some of its Autonomous Communities and Brittany.
- 02/2011: article "Le traducteur: équilibriste des frontières", published in Traduction et communautés edited by Professor Jean Peeters.
It takes up the results of a small survey among translators of Breton presented in 2006.
- 12/2010: article "Les langues régionales: facteur de division ou manière d'être ensemble ?", in the Traduire magazine.
This article transcribes the paper presented at the World Translation Day, organised by the French Translators' Society (SFT) in Paris, on 11th December 2009, the theme of which was "Working Together".
- 11/2010: report of the round table entitled Comment l'Europe 'parle' aux citoyens: le défi linguistique, published on the website of the association Défense de la langue française Bruxelles-Europe.
- 03/2010: article "Le breton à la conquête de la modernité", published in a special issue of the inTRAlinea magazine.
It is an exposé on translation into Breton for or with new technologies (audiovisual media and CAT).
- 09/2009: article in the National Conference of Traditional Musics and Dances proceedings, published by the FAMDT.
The notion of identity was discussed there. Isn't it because we don't quite understand how human beings build society?
- 07/2009: article "Braille et la musique", in Traduire.
On the occasion of the bicentenary of Louis Braille's birth, this article studies the musical transcription in Braille from the point of view of translation.
- 01/2006: article "D'une pratique à une autre: la médiation de la théorie", published in the book La traduction: De la théorie à la pratique et retour, edited by Professor Jean Peeters.
It consists of an analysis of the complementary nature of practice and theory based on the two previous research works on self-translation and translation into the regional languages of Brittany.
- 11/2005: article entitled "Traduction et affichage public: quel(s) service(s) pour les langues régionales de Bretagne ?", co-written with Roseline Le Squère and published in the sadly no longer published magazine Marges Linguistiques, No. 10 of which was dedicated to regional languages.
- 05/04/2014: communication in Breton with simultaneous interpretation into French, titled « Enklaskoù yezh dre ditourerion : skouerioù en Arvor hag en Argoad » (about linguistic surveys with informers), in the symposium Douar ha dour, organised by Ti Douar Alre and Kerlenn Sten Kidna/The cultural circle of Auray, in partnership with the universities of Rennes 2 and Western Brittany (Brest), as well as the PREFics of the University of South Brittany, in Auray (Morbihan).
- 05/12/2012: conference in Breton with simultaneous interpreting into French, titled "Troiñ ? Daomp dezhi ! Assumer la traduction", organised by Kerlenn Sten Kidna in Auray (Brittany).
- 15/02/2012: paper titled "De la valeur de la traduction comme stratégie (glotto)politique", in the international colloquium organised by the ISIT and the McGill University in Paris, under the following heading: Translation Policy, Issues in the Strategic Management of Language Policy.
I offered a comparison of the value of translation, analysed as a relation between costs and benefits, in the European Union, Spain and Brittany.
- 23/11/2011: presentation in Catalan in a master lesson of Spanish to Catalan translation during my research stay in the Universitat Jaume I (UJI), in Castelló de la Plana (Valencian Country, Spain).
I explained more precisely the sociolinguistic situation of Brittany and the institutional translation practices that can be observed there. This intervention thus completed the following paper.
- 03/11/2011: paper in Spanish (with slides in Catalan), titled "Quina política i quines pràctiques de traducció s'utilitzen a l'Estat espanyol?", during my research stay in the UJI. (The video was used for a lesson in the Internet-based master offered by the university.)
I presented my thesis work in three parts: 1) brief presentation of the theoretical part, 2) quick view of the data obtained for the European Union and Brittany, 3) progress of my research for Spain. The professors there could thus give me their opinion and help me guide my research for the time I still disposed of in Spain.
- 22/11/2010: paper in English, entitled "Role and Value of Professional Translation in the EU: A Few Leads on Different Scales", at the international conference Translation and the Accomodation of Diversity: Indian and non-Indian Perspectives, UBS (Lorient - France).
The objective was to show that professional translation, in a supranational organisation such as the European Union, does not represent only a cost but also brings numerous benefits for the accomodation of the linguistic and cultural diversity.
- 11/12/2009: paper entitled "Les langues régionales: facteur de division ou manière d'être ensemble ?", very much appreciated at the World Translation Day (JMT), organised by the SFT in Paris, on the theme "Working Together".
- 11/05/2007: paper "Le breton à la conquête de la modernité", at the international conference MultimeDialecTranslation 2007, Scuola Superiore de Lingue Moderne per Interpreti e Traduttori, Università di Bologna, polo di Forlì (Italy).
It consisted of an exposé on translation into Breton for or with new technologies (audiovisual media and CAT).
- 07/07/2006: paper "Le traducteur: équilibriste des frontières", presented at the international conference Translation and Communities, UBS (Lorient).
An opportunity to share the results of a small survey on translators of Breton.
- 04/07/2003: paper entitled "D'une pratique à une autre: la médiation de la théorie", at the international conference Translation: From Theory to Practice and from Practice to Theory, UBS (Lorient).
I analysed the complementarity of practice and theory from the research works carried out until then (see below).
- 2012: PhD thesis about "The Ins and Outs of Translation in a Multilingual Europe" (542 pages).
During three years, the job consisted in analysing the translation units at work in the European, Spanish and Breton institutions in order to determine what is at stake with their services.
- 2003: dissertation on the implications and difficulties of translation in Breton and Gallo (about 110 pages).
As speakers of both languages also speak French, its objective cannot be solely communication.
- 2002: dissertation in English on self-translation (more than 120 pages).
Supervised by Professor Michel Ballard, a renowned translation scientist, this study of the special case that self-translation is aims at understanding better the translation process and shows, through the examples of famous self-translators, that translators often have to enter into multiple collaborations to carry out their task.
- 1999: paper in English on auto-translation (20 pages).
This work for the university diploma of translator delivered by the IPLV deals with auto-translation through three literary works, namely Samuel Beckett's play Waiting for Godot, Julian Green's article book The Language and its Shadow and Youenn Gwernig's poetry book A Handful of Feathers.
- 03/2014: article in the bilingual Breton-French cultural magazine An Dasson, published by the Sten Kidna Circle.
The theme of number 78 is singing in the Vannes country.
- 06/2013: bilingual Breton-French cultural magazine, titled An Dasson and published by the Sten Kidna Circle.
Scientific article about translation, presentation of the Valencian Country, biography of Saint Vincent Ferrer, article about spirituality, short story.
- 07/2009: bilingual Breton-French articles in the magazine An Dasson, of the Sten Kidna Circle.
Review and presentation of the poet who gave his name to this association in the Auray county (Brittany).
- 2003: Breton-English mini-dictionary at Yoran Embanner.
The second of the mini-dictionaries collection, products aimed at learners or tourists looking for "intelligent souvenirs".
- 10/2003: article published on the website of the Observatoire du communautarisme (communitarianism observatory).
The observatory declared itself open to contradiction and had accepted indeed to publish my point of view. The website does not exist anymore and the page is not available any longer in the archives of Wikipedia where the article is quoted on the "Republican universalism" page. It was consulted 4,003 times before the website was down.
- 09/2002: article in Breton in the Bremañ magazine.
An answer to the presentation of a bilingual novel, translated from French into Breton.